Welcome to a retrospective of some of my favorite recordings from 30 plus years of making long playing record albums. I discoverd early on that you are not recording notes or words or even music for that matter, but magic. Here is a crazy 20 track collection of folk, jazz, rock, world, electronica, ambient, meditative magic made with the help of many beautiful musicians. I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I have.
Why Rhythm and Entertainment ?
Some years back I had the pleasure of travelling to Cincinnati and working with a fabulous band called Over the Rhine. While we were waiting in a dressing room of that city’s Coney Island Amusement Park, I noticed that the walls were covered with memorabilia from the park’s long and colourful history. In particular, there was a letter that pitched a new up-and-coming singer, a guy named Perry Como. The pitch suggested that Mr. Como would be a good fit for the venue as his show offered both "Rhythm and Entertainment." I am proud to offer the same.
EPK Download here
Listening to the myriad styles on Rhythm and Entertainment is a bit like mountain weather. If you don't like what you hear, wait 5 minutes .
Here are brief track descriptions to help you navigate the ever changing climate.
1. Souvenir Flutes (medium instrumental)- ambient,loopy,psybient, dark______ 7:53
2. Kaw-Liga (peppy instrumental) jazz, Hank Williams, bass, guitar duo______ 4:15
3. Monkey (slow heavy vocal) rock, Tom Waitsish, fat and scrappy _________ 2:31
4. Mr Hicks (peppy vocal) rock, fun,cartoony___________________________ 3:20
5. Beat For the Boneman (peppy vocal) rock, psychedelic world.____________ 3:31
6. Articles of Faith (medium heavy instrumental) rock,psychedelic, guitar______ 6:18
7. 3 Cats and a Dog (peppy instrumental) folk,world.______________________ 3:27
8. Just Like Driving (med up instrumental) jazz, saxophone,guitar___________ 6:42
9. King Kong Strutt (med vocal) rock,guitar,harmonica_____________________ 7:26
10. Mu Blues (peppy instrumental) jazz, piano trio________________________ 6:10
1. (11) Deep Breathing - One (slow instrumental) meditative, spacious____________11:10
2. (12) Self Mastery (med slow instrumental spoken word) hypnotic, piano, accordion_5:51
3. (13) Nae-Pogo (med instrumental) world, shakuhachi, percussion.______________ 6:33
4. (14) Six Legs (med/slow instrumental) floaty, piano,harmonica, accordion, _______ 4:20
5. (15) Un Beau matin (med/peppy vocal) folk, Français, trippy__________________ 3:59
6. (16) Borealis Angst ( med instrumental, spoken word) dark,brooding,ambient,guitar_6:30
7. (17) O Auctrix Vitae (med instrumental) bright, melodic, loopy, electronic_______ _ 4:14
8. (18) Ryukyu (peppy instrumental) world, shakuhachi, mandolin ,_______________ 2:52
9. (19) Little Hooves (slow vocal) hypnotic, piano, violin________________________ 4:57
10. (20) Ramblin Man (slow vocal) Hank Williams,guitar, bass____________________ 6:19